Ready to send your kids off to college? Be prepared, with advice from a professor at the other end. . . .
Michael J. Bozack. Avoiding a Parental Freakout: Straight Talk from College Professor to Christian Parent. $16.99, Deep River Books.
Students across America have learned that the transition from high school to college is one of the toughest assignments they have ever received. And, for a Christian student, achieving success in a secular university is even harder. Did you know that . . .
- Only ~ 32% of high school seniors graduate with the skills they need for college.
- Only ~ 20% of entering college students have the basic quantitative skills necessary to compare ticket prices or calculate the cost of food.
- By the end of their freshman year ~ 30% of college students drop out.
- The four-year graduation rate for students attending public colleges and universities is currently 33%. The six-year rate is 58%.
- More than 85% of college students feel overwhelmed and 51% report that “things are hopeless.”
Christian students are not immune to the bad statistics. They should be our best college students, but many are falling prey to the same forces that derail secular students. What is a parent to do?
Help is here! In this book, we give Christian parents the straight scoop on how to prepare your kids for college. Far more Christian students end up at secular colleges and universities than Christian colleges, but there are few resources to help parents. We show you what to do, what to avoid, what critical information you need, and which battles to fight. We offer tons of talking points to share with your kids. And best, we save you sleep, frustration, money, heartaches, pints of Baskin-Robbins double chocolate, and hours of watching the Hallmark Channel to chill out.