Hey there. Been awhile since I’ve wanted to invest energy in blogging (or really, had energy to invest), but this seems like a decent time to start dipping my toe back into the self-promotional waters.
But it’s been awhile — just about a year, actually. So, to start, here’s a little of what the past year has looked like:
• Work life being the most obvious. In this past year, went from being way-underpaid temp (the agency was taking about a one-third cut) at an educational publisher, to well-paid “permanent” editorial project manager there … to, 3 1/2 months later, being laid off with the entire rest of the editorial staff. (For those keeping score at home, this is the fourth department to implode beneath me in seven years. I’ve taken to calling myself Destroyer of Departments. :P). That said, said company hired me back as a part-time consultant at a pretty significant rate (and “I alone have escaped to tell thee,” i.e., the only one from said department still working for them). And with the project I’ve been working on for 2+ years wrapping up, am currently awaiting word on whether the next major project is a “go.”
• Freelance world has also ramped up, thankfully, so God’s making all this work. Although I haven’t been doing reviews lately, here’s a small sampling of the books I’ve worked on in the past year — with links if you want to pursue them:
- The Biggest Win: Pro Football Players Tackle Faith (re: The Philadelphia Eagles)
- Baja’s Wounded Healer: On the Frontline of the War on Human Trafficking
- Reformation Worship: Liturgies from the Past for the Present (i.e., Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Knox, etc.)
- Truth Matters: Knowing God and Yourself
- 40 Questions about Salvation
- God and Hamilton: Spiritual Themes from the Life of Alexander Hamilton & the Broadway Musical He Inspired
And then there’s this one (which really, is what got me off my figurative butt to write this), which I actually wrote (as in: authored) as said layoffs were going down and which comes out next week (go here to investigate further, and perchance to purchase). And for what it’s worth: It’s also kind of nice to be published in a book with a full-color interior — you don’t see a whole of that anymore.
In short, the walk of faith continues, and continues to produce fruit (in print form, at least). Tell your friends (especially if they need an editor).
That said, there’s at least one upcoming book I worked on recently that I’ll want to review when it’s available, maybe more. And maybe this’ll even inspire me to get back to some more original writing. In short: Stay tuned.