Got a decent-sized (but not big) church, and want to keep a handle on where you’re at and where you’re going?
David J. Peter. Maximizing the Midsize Church: Effective Leadership for Fruitful Mission and Ministry. 176p., $18.99, Kregel Ministry.
Nearly one in four congregations in the United States is a midsize church (150-400 worshipers per week), and the midsize church has its own distinctive culture, dynamics, and characteristics. Drawing on years of research and pastoral ministry, David J. Peter has written a comprehensive handbook for pastors and staff who direct these churches.
Peter covers the most important issues leaders encounter, including:
- The important role they play in advancing the kingdom of God
- Common cultural characteristics
- Typical problems and productive solutions
- Advantages over both small and large churches, and how to capitalize on them
- Practices for developing healthy programs
- The responsibilities of the pastor
- Guidance for hiring staff and recruiting volunteers